The initiative: Y tu ni te enteras pretends to make people aware of different realities that configured the neighbourhood.
In this case, we want to promote the use of the roundabout as a green area and enhance its quality. Also by using of art as a social intervention will generate an image of the neighbourhood and raise the public awareness of water scarcity.
The main discovery, which starts the project, is obtained from the analysis work of the roundabouts in Alicante done by the group WTF! During Phase 02 of last year course. The residual surface of these spaces reflects potential to serve the city for more than just adornment.
BACKGROUND, CONTROVERSIES, DISCOVERIES
After the analysis of Alicante’s roundabouts in phase 2 this year by Los Rotonderos, the roundabout Agatángelo Soler was elected to undergo for an intervention by its potential.
1. The Roundabout is placed in the neighbourhood called Garbinet, this neighbourhood suffered its development during the urban boom of Alicante. That’s why we face a new urban plan, where the proportions and scale of streets, boulevards and buildings are controlled.
Also Garbinet is the greenest neighbourhood of Alicante, having 105000m2 of green zones, it’s here where the first controversy is posed.
Is it as green as we are thinking? We analysed the grass in this green areas and after how many of this areas are exploitable (>1000 sqm)Green Areas in the neighborhood
Green Areas with grass in the neighborhood
Green Areas with grass > 1000 sqm in the neighborhood
Rotonda Agantengelo Soler apart of being the greenest accessible roundabout in Alicante is also the green heart of the neighbourhood, with 5400 sqm of grass. Which supposed the 20%
Comparison Green Areas vs Roundabout
2. In the new urban planning are designed green areas that require constant care regardless of the expense that this means. The Roundabout and green areas consume water and high expenses but they are sold off places in the neighbourhood. Also, the configuration of neighbourhood, housing developments with common areas, limits the use of public space.
3. We will take in account the conclusion of using the Roundabout as a point of promotion (Phase 2), its strategic location allows great scope and potential to become a place of identity and it gives us the opportunity to express values.
Phase 2. Rotonderos
4. Global water crisis
Despite being in the Heart of neighbourhood, this roundabout is the middle point of 3 distinct parts that form it and we have called as Old Garbinet, New Garbinet and Garbinet in Process. The roundabout gives us the opportunity to reach the entire neighbourhood.
It should be noted at this point who live in the neighbourhood, is a young neighbourhood, the statistics show that this parent families made up of parents between 30-35 years with children between 0-5 years. Generating an activity where we will make children participate will make the parents get involve too.
1. Take advantage of the existing project of the Department of Traffic
The project is enabling a new green park, the roundabout, making it accessible for pedestrians and incorporating a cycleway. A portion of the grass is being eliminated, for the implementation of the road so the maintenance costs will be lower. From here we will draw some budget
- Total maintenance expense 50,768 €/year
- Determine 35 % less: 17768 €/year = budget 1
Economic: saving 17768 per year.
Social: the roundabout will be accessible to pedestrians and conditioned to stay inside
Environmental: 9512 l water saving irrigation
City Council: Department of Traffic
- Intervene: Project developer
- Benefit: Improved service to the city
- Intervene: Members of the new ride
- Benefit: A green space is added to the neighbourhood
- Intervene: Users of the new lane
- Benefits: New continuous bike lane
- Intervene: Passive
- Benefits: Adjacent premises are revalued
FROM HERE THE MAIN STRATEGY: Art as a communication tool
2. Make evident the roundabout as a green area in the neighbourhood and reinforce its quality
What have the green areas and roundabout in common? Configuration of urban elements. The Curb as the limit of the green, it is used as a separator between nature and city. And the Benches that promote the green zone as stay zone
Our goal is to generate a continuous way, which generates a sequence of green areas, creating new views and juxtapositions from different vantage points in different areas. We will paint the green areas related to the roundabout. In this way we show the roundabout with the same characteristic of a green area. Also, we will mark points of interest. Such as actions, views, data..
We use the colour as a brand and as a place The hidden potential of the existing
Social: Generate a local tissue around the roundabout
Cultural: To provide an identity to the neighbourhood
City of Council: Department of Urban Image
- Intervention: Responsible for painting the curbs
- Benefit: Improve Urban Image
3. Promote the use of the Roundabout as a green/public area
As already explained the roundabout is the green heart of the neighbourhood, and with the new project is accessible. However, the implicit problems of being a roundabout are not solved, like noises and discomforts, since it is an island in the traffic.
We proceed to an improvement of the inside area which aims to eliminate noise and traffic fumes. Another thing to have into account is the scale, to be able to enjoy a public space, we need a confortable scale. What do i mean with this? The public space should be enjoy as your outside home, it’s necessary to focus on hospitality and small-scale meetings in the big city.
It is necessary, a “place to place” that we don’t find in another place, we need to create something people is not knowing that they need.
1. We generate a barrier around the perimeter, which allow generating a nice interior. It will be high enough to stop the noise, but it would never cover the main sculpture due to its large size
2. Playgrounds are moved to the roundabout. We find some small playgrounds in the boulevards but no a real park where children can exploit their energies. This new areas will be closed, making them safer against traffic. When we involve the children in the participation of public spaces, we are indirectly making participate the parents also.
3. We will try to encourage the use of this space for outside activities, these areas create an attraction. Areas for picnics, barbecues…in small scale. Creating an out side living room. Also, it can be a place where the 4 bon fires linked to the neighbourhood can manage their events.
Economic: Amortisation expense of maintaining the roundabout encouraging outdoor activities. The adjacent commerce to the roundabout is revalue because of having a new accessible plaza and they will benefit from the flow of people
Cultural: The roundabout exploit its potential as a sociocultural landmark
Social: The neighbours have a space where to develop different activities and local coexistence foster links and self-esteem of the neighbourhood.
Environmental: Encourage the creation of a green lung
Estructuras Alicante, empresa constructora (del Barrio):
- Intervention: Responsible for assembling the perimeter structure
- Benefits: They get a financial reward
City Council: Parks and Gardens
- Intervention: Moving parks within the roundabout
City Council: Department of Urban Image
- Intervention: Encourage sitting areas, making them more attractive
- Benefit: Improve Urban Image
- Intervention: Members of the new space
- Profit: Making a new green space
4. Awareness of water scarcity
We link strategies 1 and 2.
1. The wall of the roundabout will be used as a canvas, for art linked to water + green.
It will consist of designs made by the children:
– Workshops in Schools conducted by the educational area of Aguas de Alicante. (Gotagotham and Ambientech)
– Workshops during the Water Day of Garbinet collaborating with a celebration of Sunny Sunday of GarbinEAT ( WATER DAY : MARCH 22 )
Murals will be done in the form of street art, done by cultural and art associations and collaborating with the citizens.
Cultural: citizens are aware of the importance of water and the need to protect, and more in an area like in Alicante, small changes are crucial to change social behaviour.
Social: The citizens has an opportunity to intervene in the city, art as social intervention
Environmental: The change will mean a change in water consumption
Aguas de Alicante
- Intervention: Responsible for performing workshops in local schools
- Benefits: To promote social image of the company
Schools: Santa Teresa Vistahermosa, Inmaculada Jesuitas, Sagrado Corazon, CP Azorin and CP Pedro Duque
- Intervention: Making murals designs
- Benefits: Expand education outside the classrooms
Cultural-Art Association: Association of Artists and Patch- Alacant
- Intervention: Responsible for doing the murals that are placed on the perimeter of the structure
- Benefits: Develop their talent
City of Alicante: Department of citizen participation
- Intervention: Organize informative and educational seminars
- Intervention: Collaboration painting murals
- Benefits: Socialization and relationship
5. Image of the neighbourhood
We generate an identity: Advertising campaign: Y tu sin enterarte
Promoting the attractiveness of the neighbourhood
- Name: Y tu sin entarte
- Social media
- Icon in the roundabout
- Social events “WATER DAY”
Economic: The advertisement favours the commerce in the area because of the attraction of people. (From others neighbourhoods and tourist)
Cultural: We endow a neighbourhood identity
Social: We present the qualities of the neighbourhood
Aguas de Alicante
WHEN AND HOW MUCH: PHASES AND BUDGET
Paint the curbs and connections of the green areas in blue. So green areas (including roundabout) are identified and incites curiosity (why blue?)
Initial Budget: XXX
Phase Budget: 19,96€/m2
- Pintura de color azul= 5,56
- Maquina manual= 3,02
- Oficial 1º construccion de obra civil= 4,71
- Ayudante construccion de obra civil=5,71
- %Medios auxiliaries= 0,38
- %Costes indirectos= 0,58
Final Budget: XXX
It will be painted the green zones in relationship with the roundabout and also, we will create a way to do people go into the roundabout.
In this way we have generated we’ll mark different points of interest related with the roundabout. We will generate a route in which roundabout will play the principal role.
Puerta del Milenio, Rotonda Agatangelo Soler, La Serragrosa, Sport way, Centenary trees… (To develop)
Phase 3 Start the campaign: Y tu sin enterarte
Preparation and placement of the signage
Workshops are organized in schools
Assemble the perimeter structure of the Roundabout and move the playground
Design the inside. Mix Park + Activities in the Neighbourhood. (To develop)
Opening of the Total Green Zone!
Workshops with children
Brunch (coinciding with Sunny Sunday)
Inauguration of Murals project
Phase 5 Paint Murals
During the period of one week the neighbours are invited to collaborate in the creation of the mural with the associations of urban art Alicante. The designs will be reinterpretations of children’s drawings.
This will be the first action in the murals, people we aware of how far is reaching the roundabout and it will be able to use it after for publicity campaigns.
- Amortization expense of maintaining the roundabout encouraging outdoor activities
- The adjacent commerce to the roundabout is revalue because of having a new accessible plaza and they will benefit from the flow of people
- Generate a local tissue neighbourhood
- The neighbours have a space where to develop different activities and local coexistence foster links and self-esteem of the neighbourhood
- The citizens has an opportunity to intervene in the city, art as social intervention
- Provide an identity to the neighbourhood
- The roundabout exploit its potential as a sociocultural landmark
- Citizens are aware of the importance of water and the need to protect, and more in an area like in Alicante, small changes are crucial to change sociaL
- Encourage the creation of a green lung
- The change will mean a change in water consumption