1st PHASE : DOCUMENTATION
WHAT THEY NEED AND WHAT THEY WANT
Objective analysis (technical)
- Urbanistic data : Urbanistic indicators, urban morphology, public space dimensions, movility infrastructure
- Demographic analysis : Focusing over specific age groups and attract other age groups
- Agents mapping ( Commercial, cultural, social, technical, public, economic ) : Neighborhood + City
- Empty lots mapping : area of intervention
- Economic analysis : repercussion of the intervention in the economic structure
- Patronato Municipal de la Vivienda and Concejalía de patrimonio : what we already have to take profit of it
- Historical analysis : When – Fiestas del porrate
Subjective analysis (emotional) – Toolkit to gather information – strategies – let the people decide over their own public space
- Labeling the neighborhood – WHERE (in real space or plan)
- Surveys – WHAT
- Children’s drawing competition – HOW
- Listening sessions – Negotiate between parts – HOW
- Story mapping – Register comments, histories, anecdotes, complaints – WHY
Objective + subjective = WHY, WHAT, WHERE, HOW, HOW MUCH, WHEN
2nd PHASE : FUNDING
VISUALIZE AND GATHER MONEY TO START
Actions to create emotional relationships that could involve people to the idea of transforming the urban spaces
- Extreme low-cost microinterventions:
Show to the people the capabilities of the abandoned spaces to transform themselves into something (theater, park) with a little effort.
PUBLIC SPACE CONQUEST : CHAIR INVASION
Why “Chairs invasion”?
Because with a crossed interest we can take benefits to owners and empty lots consumers: as the owners saves money from the conditioning of their empty lots, the neighbors take access to spaces to make their own activities.
Why the chair as an icon?
Because is something that is already happening in the neighborhood, walking through their streets, you can se how people conquest park places to put in there their tables and their chairs to create micro public spaces as an extension of the inner living space from the house.
The chair also works as an object of massive customization of the public space, because every chair is unique from each owner. This phenomenon creates between the chair’s owner and the empty lot a emotional relationship through the chair.
- Social media márketing: Announce what is happening in San Antón.
///Agents involved : Connexpro (social networks) + Imprenta Sennen (city posters)
- Subjective information gathering toolkit of actions
The most important idea it’s to not transforming the public space into a business and keeping the urban spaces as a public domain.
Avoiding to privatize the public space letting the private companies be the only ones who take the decisions, in order to get private budgets.
All must be based on a cross-interests system.
- Public: 10~20% – STARTING BUDGET
-A initial budget to begin the project : buy model materials, labels…
-Budget to suffray the funding/volunteers system
-List of resources from the city council (furniture, pallets, fences, etc)
- Private: 10~20% – SPONSORSHIP SYSTEM
A private company can make a donation with the profit of free marketing. Big donations could mean an intervention will be named as the company are.
“CHM theater” – “Civica Park” – “Ecisa Urban Museum”
- Crowdfunding: 60~80% – REWARD SYSTEM
Attract microinvestors with an emotional link (Visualizing phase) or with a reward system. Massive customization of the urban spaces.
1. 3€ – Solidarity croissant
2. 5€ – Badge “I’m a San Anton’s hero”
3. 5€ – Solidarity Sandwich
4. 10€ – Badge + Solidarity Sandwich
5. 10€ – Badge + Solidarity Croissant
6. 15€ – Badge + a plant with your name
7. 20€ – Badge + T-shirt “I’m a San Anton’s hero”
8. 30€ – Badge + T-shirt + a plant with your name
9. 50€ – Badge + T-shirt + a plant with your name + reserved chair to opening act
10. 50€ – Badge + T-shirt + a plant with your name + reserved chair to opening act
11. 100€ – Badge + T-shirt + a plant with your name + reserved chair to opening act +artwork from a local artist
12. 100€ – Badge + T-shirt + a plant with your name + reserved chair to opening act + reserved chair to opening act + artwork from a local artist (2p)
13. 150€ – Badge + T-shirt + a plant with your name + reserved chair to opening act + artwork from a local artist (small) + invitation to private opening lunch (1p)
14. 200€ – Badge + T-shirt + a plant with your name + reserved chair to opening act + artwork from a local artist (large) + invitation to private opening lunch (1p)
15. 200€ – Badge + T-shirt + a plant with your name + reserved chair to opening act + artwork from a local artist (small) + invitation to private opening lunch (2p)
16. 250€ – Badge + T-shirt + a plant with your name + reserved chair to opening act + artwork from a local artist (large) + invitation to private opening lunch (2p)
17. 500€ – Badge + T-shirt + a plant with your name + reserved chair to opening act + artwork from a local artist + invitation to private opening lunch (5p)
Rewards – Agents, cost & profit
- Solidarity Croissant / Panadería Ismael : 0,80€ / 2,20€
Solidarity Sanwich / Neighborhood kitcheners + Empecinado : 1,5€ / 3,5€
- Badget / Imprenta Senén : 1€ / 4€
- Named plant / Volunteers : Spray + stencil = almost free
- T-Shirt / Imprenta Senén : 12~15€ / ~5€
- Reserved chair to opening act / Volunteers / non-cost
- Artworks / Local artists / Donations, non-cost
Achieve gathering things that usually we will have to pay for them.
- Artworks – Cross interest system
The project give to them the space and the opportunity to express and promote their work and themselves as local artists, in change, they have to donate their work to the project to achieve funding.
Their artworks will be used to the cost free reward system.
Agents involved : Any local artist, MACA, Publicart, Camon, Afali.
- Manpower / Human resources – Volunteers = Charity Associations + reward system
We have two ways to attract volunteers, the first one is making an idea that they could believe in it that works with people involve with social causes (volunteers association) but to attract people without much social conscience, we can attract them with a cost free reward system.
Take profit of the people’s skills : even designing new roles of volunteers.TYPES OF VOLUNTEERS
1- Building volunteers (Constructor, Gardener, Painter, Carpenter, Mounter, Logistic carrier, Cleaner…)
2- Park assistants (Stewards, Actors, Singers, Children’s Entertainer, 3rd Age Assistants, Gardeners, Security, Teachers, Babysitters, Artists, Cookers, Workshop teachers, Waiters…)
3- Office & manage team (Architects, Engineers, Lawyers, Designers, Project Manager, Social-Media managers, Landscaper…)/// Agents involved: Racó Fogueril (Neightborhood), Asociación “Nova Feina” (Unemployed Association, Local), Centro Imaginalia (Volunteer association, Local), Fundación Dasyc (Volunteer association, Regional), Arquitectos sin fronteras, Del. Com. Valenciana (Volunteer association, Regional), Hacesfalta.org (Volunteer association, National)
- Recycled / Rented / borrowed resources – WISH LIST
Create a list with what we need for every installation and ask the people to donate the stuff they no longer need in order to save money as much as be possibleGardens
Spotlight & lightbeams
3rd PHASE: DESIGNING
DESINGING A PUBLIC SPACE BY CITIZENS FOR CITIZENS
FASE A : COLLATE THE DOCUMENTATION PHASE DATA
With the inputs gathered, focus the objectives to face into the predesign phase.
Define the USE PROGRAM.
Children playground + green pakr / Theater ( will be changed as talked in the last correction )
FASE B : PREDESIGN
Construct urban strategies to face the people’s needs viewed in the program. Define the MECHANISMS and WHERE they will be placed.
Children Playground + Green Park = Lego Garden
Theater = Reeds structure
Why “Lego gardens”?
Because taking profit from the Fruit Box borrowing system, we can easily create new topographys in an empty lot with a minimum cost in the case the park will be temprary and the whole number of boxes will be returned to their company.
The lego system allows the users to create a realtime feedback into the design of the park : you can construct a climb, a chair or move plants and planters everytime you want, because the park itselfs is configurated as a game.
Why “Reeds theater”?
Because reeds are very cheap material to work and neighbors can easily construct themselves, learning previously the contruction system in a workshop harboured in the “Chair Invasion Phase” and also is the way to create an incubator to shelter workshops, lectures and culturar activities.
- Where– To attract the interest of empty lots owners
Ordenanza municipal BOP nº90 – 15 mayo 2009 – Título II – Capítulo IV
“De la limpieza y el mantenimiento de solares y parcelas”
If the owners provides their own empty lot to the project, he can saves the cost of the maintenance due to the volunteers conditioning works.
FASE C : PUBLIC FEEDBACK
Let the people know what are the MECHANISMS and involve them into the desing process. PREDIMENSIONING the USE PROGRAM with the people’s feedback to not lose the scale.
1- Collaborative 3D Models : Use 3D models to ask the people fill them with trees to mease how much trees/plants they want, how they want and where they want.
Different modifications of the base shape by collaborative visioning process
2- Urban consulting meeting : Create a negotiation between agents, technicians, designers and neigthbors. Create tension between what is wanted and what is possible.
3- Request forms : Online request forms will be open to create a list of actions/performances is wanted to be done in order to measure the weight of every intervention.
Space needed to exhibit the number of artworks, meters of wall to hold the number of graffitis ordered, volume of the urban theater or number of theaters to hold performances/workshops.
Request forms list preview:
1- Graffiti wall application – lineal m.
2- Artwork space application – number of artworks and volume
3- Performance application – Duration, max number of assistants, space needed
4- Workshop application – Duration, max number of assistants.
5- Children’s game application – Duration, space needed.
6- Sport event application – Duration, travel, max number of participants.
FASE C : RESOURCES FEEDBACK
Once we have a list of resources from the wish list achieved and the needs measured, we have to readjust the design and the scale of every intervention.
LIMIT THE SCALE of the intervention with the resources achieved, both human and material.
FASE D : FINAL DESIGN
OPTIMIZE AND TECHNIFY the design and finally give to the people looking for their approval.
4th PHASE: BUILDING
COLLABORATIVE BUILDING PROCESS
TYPES OF LABOURS
There are 2 types of building labours : Skilled and non-skilled.
Is needed a specialized resources and trained workers
- Obtaining the help of a private building company in change of the sponshorship of an intervention/space
- Using the budget collected to hire a private building company.
- Benefit from the neighborhood professionals
List of skilled tasks:
Any volunteer can handle this works. Attract collectives and involve them to construct the interventions.
Strategies to gather volunteers:
- Using solidarity/volunteers association
- Using reward system
– Provide temporal housing to long-term workers taking profit from the empty houses
– The own neighbors can godfather a worker for one day and cook for him
– Using the funding reward system, in this case people pays with hours of work.
- Attract collectives offering profits of the interventions to help their interests (for example, a Theater group that would act in the future Theater will help to construct it)
List of non-skilled tasks (everyone with supervisors)
Example of a non-skilled building labour, guided by chiefs
5th PHASE: ACTIVATION
MANTAINING THE INTERVENTIONS AND MAKE THEM WORK
Calendar and schedule of performances and activities – link the calendar to other neighborhood festivities in order to use the interventions as a platform for traditional activities.
Both supply services of water, electricity and garbage collection borne by the council, as they occur with other festive events
List of activities (estimated)
- Lego Gardens– Pending from request forms
-Childrens painting workshop – Centro socioeducativo Ciudad de Asís
-Gimkana – Asociación Tonaira
-Dance workshops – Rafael (Racó Fogueril)
-Traditional games : carreras de sacos, carreras de cintas, cucaña – Comisión de las Fiestas del Porrate
-Street feast : low cost paella – Paco y Ramón cookers + Empecinado + A.D. San Antón + Bar Lolo
-Chocolatada del Porrate – Empecinado + Bar Lolo
-Pilate Classes – Lorena ( Physiotherapy clinic “Hospital del Rey” )
-Paella contest – Comisión de las fiestas del PorratePossible activities to gather funding:
-Photography exposition – Afali
-Graffiti exposition – Mur-Art
-Sculpture exposition – Independent artists
-Artworks guided tour – Esther
-Footwear designs exhibition – Cocoschool
- Reeds Theater – Pending from request forms
-Spanish Zarzuela – Peña lírica de San Antón
-Projection football match – Asociación Deportiva de San Antón
-Movie projections – 8 y Medio
-Poetry lectures – El farolito
-Music performance – Alacant Rock
-Proclamation of “Damas del Porrate” – Comisión de las Fiestas del Porrate
-“Chapuzas sin fronteras” lecture – Jose Carlos
-“Social networks for dummies” lectura – Connexpro
6th PHASE : RECYCLE
SHARE AND RECYCLE RESOURCES
Most facilities should be mobile in order to be folded and stored and, whenever is needed, the platforms could be installed elsewhere
“Get your park ride” – When the installation should be disassembled, a lot of citizens will can take a tree into a planter with the words “This could be San Anton” and then, they will decide where they want to create a thought for every pedestrian about the meaning of the empty spaces and their capabilities to transform into something useful to the city.
Also, little amount of trees could be conquest little derelict spaces in the city and improve them creating little scale phenomenons.
If this aims to be a project by the citizens for the citizens, this means the citizens can take profit of the resources when they decides to, both material resources, information researches, gathering toolkit strategies, etc.
All the information will be avalaible in a website to let the people know how they can create similar process in other places.
Also the same for the physical resources acquired that could be useful for other installations.