In this phase we will base the design decisions on specific strategies translated from the previously defined goals.
· Generate a new perception of Alicante´s culture as a rich and unitary image, based on the existing ‘unknown cultural material’.
· Relate the cultural movement of Alicante to Carolinas bajas by placing its show event into CB’s physiognomy: the flat roofs.
Calle San carlos and calle Valencia were chosen to be the streets where to develop the program , as they conect both the two official cultural containers in CB , ADDA and Cigarreras, with the heart of CB’s activity, ‘Plaza palmeretes’.
1st design phase: Analyze of the location.
Once flat roofs in both street where located , they can be classified in three groups, based on the posible activities happening in there.
Type A. Rooftops in which elevator and inner courtyard are toguether and in a side, allowing discontinuous spatial configurations
Type B. Rooftops in which either elevator or courtyard are placed in the center, allowig continous space configuration.
Type C. Terraces. Smaller , rectangular areas , that have access from penthouses.
Redetejas is a very similar project that developed a net of ‘cultural rooftops’ . After developing several events, they wrote a manual of recommendations in the use of rooftops. the reading of the document, leads us in the consideration of security as a design issue. any action or accident happening in the rooftop would be responsibility of they neightbor’s association of the building.
*The design must reinforce the existing security barrier.
2nd design phase: Activities’s design factors.
The event program will be based on the participation of both local performers of the city , associations and commerce of CB. All the range of possible activities are classified in 4 groups based on the similarity of the design factors each activity provides.
3rd design phase: References.
Corrugated pipe as main material. Why corrugated pipe?
· Lightness: It can be masively used without adding so much weight.
· Price: 0,20 €/m
· Temporary: Taking the assemble process from the references above, we can develop the project counting on not damaging a big amount of material, and returning it or reselling it, so part of the budget can be returned.
· Colors: The colors available depend on the original use of each tube (water installation , electricity) and determines also the diameter of it. The choices are allways powerfull bright colors that diference themselves from terracota and neutral colors from the facades.
References: Sebastian Wierinc work and Meetube
From the analyze of this two references we can extract the construction process of the proptotypes needed: Orthogonal ribs define the way of the tube and its combination allow the configuration of complex spaces that combine diferent functions: siting, lightning…
4th design phase: Resolution.