Flavoluos Market is a project to reactivate Central Market area by means of the association of its traders (including bars and Central Market’s stands) making more powerful its cultural and gastronomical values. The project is based in exchange.
The agents are:
– Neighbours who live close to Central Market, they can be clients now or not, but the project is for everybody.
– Bars that are close to Central Market. Nowadays we have Tardeo on Saturday morning, during this activity they sell a lot, but in contrast during the week their only clients are people who work close and they have to eat outside their homes.
– Associations from the neighborhood that are complaining about problems that Tardeo produces (like noise, trash, etc).
– Also during Tardeo some kind of Central Market stand (special butchers) are having extra money due to they sell trays with food to eat at the square.
The project proposes to include:
– Exchange stand that allow us to exchange organic trash by discounts.
– A compost farm to produce a benefit selling organic trash from Central Market and neighborhood.
– An improvement of the activities that are being celebrated at square.
The exchanging proposed are:
This reference is from a restaurant in Viena, is interesting for the project because:
– It is able to create an economical benefits by exchange.
– It is an example of trash management, not only their own remains, they are capable to process rubbish from other people.
In Flavoluos Market the exchanges proposed are:
Looking for a new identity, with a specific design, that go further than obvious design, we are going to use some strategies related with the things that make Central Market unique. Some of the latest version didn’t have anything in common with Central Market, so they can stay anywhere.
The design elements will be the tool to create this new identity.
WHY IS CENTRAL MARKET UNIQUE?
We can found two elements that are making this possible.
– FOOD AND COLOR
Santa Caterina Market is a project made by Enric Miralles (structure) and Toni Cumella (color design).
The main points to choose this reference are:
– Using a food abstraction to create a new image.
– Construction by modular elements.
So using the existing colors and their rages we are able to choose the most representatives.
– MODERNISM ELEMENTS
Central Market was built in 1921 by Juan Vidal Ramos. One of the principal characteristic about this building is that have modernism ornament.
HOW CAN WE COMBINATE COLOR AND MODERNIST ELEMENTS?
– Strategy 1. INTERVENTION IN EXISTING ELEMENTS
Making visible some elements inside Central Market that now are being ignored. Using paint and the color that we have chosen we can manage a big change.
Ataranaza Market is a Market in Malaga. It was remodeled in 2008-2010 is an example because:
– The use of color to create a new image.
– They have given a similar appearance that the Market had and at the same time they have painted this traditional elements.
The group BoaMistura made an intervention in Cebada Market, this is an interesting project due to:
– They used paint to give a new image to the Market.
– Also they used this technique inside with some of the stands and outside in the facade and the roof.
Strategies in Central Market:
– Strategy 2. CONSTRUCTION OF NEW ELEMENTS
Including modernist ornament that are now in Central Market in designs we will create a harmony between design and identity.
– Construction elements (trolley + glass + colors)
Using trolleys as a construction elements we have some advantages:
– It is an element easy to get.
– It have been used traditionally to buy in Central Market.
– It is easily removable.
– It can be customize.
Modernism was an artistic movement during XX century. One of the most principal models was Gaudi. This reference is part the project because:
– Ornament making by small pieces are typical and recognizable.
– This kind of ornament are in Central Market facade.
How is going to work in Flavoluos Market?
The design have to be capable to make more powerful the intentions that are operating in the existing context. Some of the previous versions are not be able to do it because they didn’t have enough specificity.
– Previous version
This version just worked as a furniture that was able to pick up some trash. It was offering some variability but it didn’t go further, it didn’t offer some extra benefit to the context.
In this case we are creating a new image, but in a wrong way. We had a controversy because to make the image we used paint, so the concept recycling was being contradicted.
– NEW CENTRAL MARKET IMAGE
Applying the last strategies we will obtain a new image.
Color strategy evolution:
– Design as a strategy to attract different kind of people:
In order to make possible the proposed activities we have the amazing modified trolley!
HOW DOES IT WORKS?
WHAT SITUATIONS IS THIS TROLLEY MAKING POSSIBLE?
– Exchanging area
Activity at square:
– Previus version:
Connection by PROMOTIONAL TROLLEY:
Flavolous Market will revitalize Central Market area by means of exchange. Neighbors can exchange organic trash by discounts.
– Clients get advantages and they have an incentive to go there.
– Central Market is going to increase their sales and they will earn money management thash.
This project is based in Central market typical elements, the most potential are modernist ornaments. So using strategies with food color we will be able to value traditional elements. Also including this elements in our design we will create an identity.
Central Market is going to manage organic trash from themselves and from the neighborhood, giving incentives to people to recycling. This will produce a more effective treatment to this rubbish.
Flavolous Market is going to generate a strong social interaction in two places mainly, in exchange areas and in 25 mayo square. Saturday morning, with tardeo activity people will participate in socio-cultural activities.